April the 25th is World Penguin Day and this article is to give you a bit of an insight into these wonderful creatures.
Browse through a few facts, have a bash at out quiz and groan at our collection of Penguin Jokes
Did you know…
- Penguins have feathers, short and stiff they overlap to form a thick smooth layer which traps air to provide insulation from the cold.
- Penguin’s eyes work better underwater than in air.
- Penguins spend 75% of their lives at sea.
- Romance? – When a male Gentoo Penguin falls in love he searches the whole beach for the perfect pebble and when he finally finds it he waddles over to his “hot chick” and places the pebble at her feet. If she picks it up, it’s her way of saying “I Do”
- King Penguins sing long songs to their partners
- The oldest penguin fossil ever discovered is the Waimanu manneringi (Maori for “Water Bird”) which dates back about 60 million years. The fossil was discovered in Antarctica in 1980 and they were flightless birds even back then.
- Emperor Penguins can dive as far as 1870 feet for as long as 22 minutes – you try holding your breath for that long.
- During long dives their heart rate slows to 15-20 beats per minute and they shut down their nonessential organs.
- Penguins can drink salt water, thanks to a supraorbital gland that filters salt from the bloodstream.
Q: Who is a Penguins favourite Aunt?
A: Aunt Artica
Q: What’s black, white, black, white, black, white, black, white?
A: A penguin rolling down a hill
Q: What’s black and white and red all over?
A: An embarrassed penguin.
Q: Why don’t you see penguins in Britain?
A: Because they are afraid of Wales.
The devout zookeeper lost his favorite Bible while he was mending fences out at the zoo. Three weeks later, a penguin walked up to him carrying the Bible in its beak. The zookeeper couldn’t believe his eyes. He took the precious book out of the penguin’s beak, raised his eyes heavenward and exclaimed, “It’s a miracle!” “Not really,” said the penguin. “Your name is written inside the cover.”
A woman walks up to a handsome man in a nightclub and shouts: ‘Fat penguin!’
Excuse me?’ he says, looking bemused.
‘Sorry,’ she replies. ‘I was just trying to think of something that would break the ice.’
I want to defend a penguin in court just so I can say, “Your Honour, my client is clearly not a flight risk.”
If you know of a Penguin Joke that is any better than these (shouldn’t be too hard) please drop us an email and we will include it on this list.